Friday, February 17, 2012

season of the gecko

well, I survived the first weekend and kid's days!  I'm sitting at Gecko now, drinking a chocolate peanut butter freeze and creating this blog.  This is the first time I'm actually writing as it happened...the previous posts were all written at random times.

Tuesday was the first kid's day and it was cold and rainy and miserable.  I had a little extra cash, so I got myself a cheap motel room and had a shower and lounged about all night eating In-N-Out and drinking beers and using the internet.  It was extremely pleasant.

The wing booth is pretty weird.  I haven't quite got the hang of it yet but I've been making sales anyway.  I'm right in between the Flying DaVinci machine and the new world joust, two rides that my ninja neighbors work at.  All day long, when the others aren't looking, they'll hop the fences and "kill" each other.  Danielle, my rose-girl friend, is also involved, but I think I'll stay out of it and declare myself Switzerland.  Or maybe Sweden.  You know, one of those neutral countries.

Last night I went over to Ash's camp and hung out with him.  He's one of the pirates at the other booth, and we'd worked together all day kid's days while Patrick manned the wing booth.  I was hired purely as security, to make sure kids didn't steal any of the jewelry or toy pistols.  To make myself more menacing I carried one of the pistols around.  One of the kids exclaimed, "She's got a gun!"  which made me laugh.  But back to socializing, it was nice to, finally.  I've been secluding myself mostly because I've been extremely tired and my computer's battery is shit, and I have nothing to plug it into, so I can watch about half an episode of Sherlock or Downton Abbey before I have to close up.

I wake up really early every morning though, like 6:30, which is great because it gives me time to do more stuff, and by the time I lay down I sleep all night, except for the occasional 4 am wakeup to use the bathroom, an excursion usually fraught with terror because of the coyotes.  I haven't actually seen any, but a few nights ago they were RIGHT outside the tent, so close I could hear their footsteps.  Paw-steps.  I huddled under the blankets for a bit before steeling myself and grabbing my flashlight and running to the bathroom.  Way down the lane I saw a canine figure, standing, and thought:  "okay.  it's okay.  it's more scared of you than you are of it...coyotes are just the middle ground between wolves and foxes and you love them..."  Then it started barking at me!  It was just a dog, probably woken up by the coyotes just like I had been.  What a relief!  I promptly went back to sleep and dreamt that I was accosted by a pack of 14 coyotes and they ripped me to shreds.  Thanks, subconscious!

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself out here thus far.  It can be a bit lonely, even though I'm surrounded by people, and they're all very nice and friendly.  I'll catch my groove soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Glad its working out for you darlin. Please keep writing your blog so we know all the goings on. Don't forget to take that picture we were talking about.

    ReplyDelete