Friday, February 17, 2012

the journey (is about to) begin!


In just a few days I'll be leaving the security of my cave-like room in my little blanket-festooned futon nook at my parent's house in Huntersville, NC to drive almost across the country to Phoenix, AZ, there to join the Renaissance Festival circuit.  

There's a whole story about how I got started in the festival, but I think I'll save that for another time.  This is the year that I am finally able to head out on the road, something that I've dearly wished for since I was 16.  I'm excited, nervous, scared, mostly just happy that I've finally found something that I want to do and that I've wanted to do for longer than 6 months.  Well…I haven't done it for 6 months in a row yet, but I'm fairly confident it will work out.  Oh god, now that I've written it, maybe it won't?  How many times have I thought 'THIS is what I really want to do and what I've really wanted to do all along!'  and then gotten bored of it or haven't been able to follow through?  A million times that's happened, but I can definitely say that this has been a dream of mine for 10 years.  Even if I hate it, I'll have done it.  Somehow though, I don't think I will hate it.  All of my friends think it's perfect for me.  My mom, who I started the faire with, is most excited of all, because she knows it's something I've always wanted to do, and she's always wanted me to do.   She even bought the tent that I'm going to live in!

Here's some logistics:  I'm going to be living in a tent, in a campground on-site.  There are no REAL bathrooms…just shower houses and porta-potties (eek!) I'm only bringing one suitcase of clothes in addition to my faire clothes. (I was very surprised to find that I OWN more than one suitcase of clothes, since I feel like I wear the same thing all the time.)  In Arizona I'll be working for a guy who makes dragon wings and bat wings, selling those.  He also runs a pirate store.  The rest of the faires I'm going to I'll be working at and managing the shop I manage in Carolina - Ophelia's Fyne Clothing.  It's period clothing like dresses, chemises, skirts, bodices, doublets, bloomers, etc. all handmade by a little dynamo named Leanne, as sweet and talented a "boss" as I've ever had.   I will know some people when I go out there - including my ex-boyfriend, one third of a comedy juggling act - but largely I'll be all on my own.  

I'm super excited to start out on my weird gypsy nomad hippie/carnie traveling life.  I'm a little different from a lot of the people who do this for a living.  You could call me more hipster than hippie, that's for sure.  I'm into things like music and fashion and the internet and trashy reality TV.  I'm curious if I'll find anyone out there to share some of these things in common with.  I hear it's a very community-driven place, and I can be a bit hermit-like.  Hopefully this will help me to come out of my shell a bit more.  It'll be very interesting to find out how my particular brand of black magic meshes with the attitudes of those around me.  

Only one more full day before I leave…I'm excited to start this journey!  I am not, however, excited about driving 2,000 miles across the country in 2 days with all my belongings in my little nissan centra.  Don't people usually take planes?  And sleep in hotels, on real beds?  Oh god, what have I gotten myself into…..?

No comments:

Post a Comment