Friday, February 17, 2012

erasmus snow and william jordan flake


We made it to Snowflake, Arizona.  I still have 3 and a half hours before I go to the festival site, but my traveling companion's parents offered to let me stay an extra night before I go out there (mostly because my tent hasn't arrived yet.) 

The rest of the trip was mind-numbing.  The most interesting part landscape-wise, new mexico, we of course drove through at night.  At least the moon is almost full, so i could see the shadows of snow-capped peaks and mountains while I tried not to drive off the road from exhaustion or be run over by an 18 wheeler.  My stomach has been angry at me since the trip began.  Travel is of course very stressful, and stress manifests in your GI tract. 


But we're here now, and I'm glad that I got to stay here for a day.  David's mom gave me a tour of their house, which is deceptively huge.  The layout makes no sense, but there are lots of rooms and a million skylights.  In the very center of the house is the "healing room", home to a big massage table, a giant dreamcatcher, and all sorts of new age books and CDs that play all day, piped into the rest of the house.  Around every corner there are geodes and crystals and glass bowls filled with rocks and crystals and divining rods.  She told me that she and her husband found their true calling was in spiritual work.  It's interesting to me that "spiritual" "new age" people are actually just super chilled out christians who believe in magic.  I guess ALL christians have to fundamentally believe in magic (jesus doing all his cool tricks and all that)  In addition to all the crystals and witchy stuff there are pictures of Jesus and saints and angels.  I'm a staunch atheist, but I'm really interested in new age practices.  I guess it's part of my wiccan background, but I think it's mostly aesthetically pleasing.  It's like catholic imagery mixed with a kind of kooky witchiness.  They believe in the saints, and each saint has his or her own powers that you can use as you need.  Kind of like Pokemon.  My saint of choice is St. Christopher, because he's the saint of travel and there's so much of that involved in my life now, but also because of the St Christopher medal I took from my dad and wear every single day.  Of course I don't really believe in that stuff, but I'd rather believe in a different god for EVERYTHING, than just one god.  Obviously my preference is not believing in any gods.  

Their artist friend is currently parked in her RV in their driveway.  She's apparently the most spiritual person they've ever met.  I couldn't tell from meeting her.  It's her birthday so after dinner they put a candle in a fresh made coconut cream pie and we sang happy birthday.  It was an adorable moment.  Also that pie!   I don't know how anyone can eat whipped cream from a can or a tub when it's so easy to make and tastes a million times better.  

Anyway, they're good people.  They're so kind that talking to them gives me the nice tinglies.  I'm not sure if I believe in spiritual energy and healing vibrations and crystal powers and all that, but I do feel at peace now that I'm actually out in the desert, which is how I always feel when I'm here.  There is definitely Something About It.  I'm extremely pleased that it will be my home for the next 2 months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment