Thursday, March 1, 2012

achievement: unlocked

I consider myself an intelligent person.  Not to brag, it's just one of those things one knows about themselves.  I expect idiots think they're awfully smart, too, but in a different way.  "Oh, the cleverness of me!"  an idiot would probably not know that quote.

That being said, sometimes I can be really thick.  As my mom has oftentimes told me, I lack common sense.  I only say this now because this has been one of the many nights I've been sitting in my tent, derping around, and had this exchange with myself:

*sniff, sniff*
"Ew!  Something smells like skunk!"
"Maybe a skunk got hit on the highway."
"Maybe a skunk died in the desert."
Followed by the sound of my neighbors giggling and coughing, and me hitting myself in the head.  DUH, AMBER.  Remember where you live???

Maybe at some other faires - Colorado, or New York, there will actually be a skunk.  But here in the desert...it's Jazz Cigarettes!!!

In other news, I finally used the shower house on site today.  The past few weeks I've stayed at a cheap motel (very cheap.  very seedy.) and taken my showers there.  I'm trying to be more fiscally responsible this week, so I had to suck it up and venture to the shower house.  The first week I went to have a look and was shocked to see many women fragrantly walking around naked like it ain't no thang.  In previous years this would have been me but I'm really insecure about my body right now, so the thought terrified me.  I overheard a snippet of conversation saying that friday nights and monday mornings were the busiest times, so I figured 3pm on a wednesday would be a non-busy time, and I was right.  It's also a good time because the showers are cleaned on wednesday mornings, so it wasn't as nasty as it probably can get.  You put your quarters in the slots, a quarter per minute, and hop in.  I had 10 minutes, which to my surprise was exactly enough time.  I'm used to taking leisurely 45 minute long showers so I was sure I'd be left shivering, one leg shaved, when the water went off, but it wasn't so.  I threw on my dress, wrapped my hair in a towel, and scooted out just as another girl was walking in.  What luck!  I don't fancy being around or seeing ladies naked; call me a prude, but whatever.  I don't even like to be naked around dudes I like, or see dudes I like naked, or be naked by myself.  This is one of many strange things about me.  I expect I'll have to get over this attitude eventually, but today is not that day.

The rest of my notes from last Sunday:
-All the little boys are named Aiden, and all the little girls are named Bella.
From watching toddlers & tiaras i know a lot of little girls are also named Mikaela, but here in AZ it seems to be Bella.  Which, if it's because of Twilight:  ew.  So much ew.  ALL the ews!  My cousin is named Isabela, and is a credit to my family because when the books came out she didn't insist that people start calling her Bella, she remained Isa, as always.  Smart kid.
Anyway, I don't now where all the Aidens are from.  I think of sex& the city, or Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, because Aiden Quinn.  I don't think he was even in that, was he?  Oh, this is weird, Dr. Quinn's first name in the show was Michaela!  WEIRD.

- "the turkey legs taste like ham, they're soooooo good!"
Why is THAT an endorsement?  I think they actually might be made out of ham, or some weird mix of animals.  They're certainly not made from organic, free range turkeys.  I don't know a single rennie that would eat a turkey leg.

1 comment:

  1. You are too funny Amber and very candid. Keep on being yourself. Love you!

    ReplyDelete