Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Day Without Internet

note: This was written on Monday. 

I've been spoiling myself with trips to Gecko, or even Starbucks.  Basically there isn't anything to do on-site, so I run away to air conditioned luxury, where the internet and electricity is free (with or without the purchase of a beverage, although i always do purchase.)

However, I'm trying to save money this week, or at least not spend it (you can't really save what you don't have!)  So I made a quick trip to the gas station and liquor store this morning, and that'll be all the time I'll spend off site til...probably Wednesday.  We'll see.  I at least have plenty of food.

It's really warm today, and who should slither across the road - not 15 feet from my tent - but Mr Rattlesnake himself!  I was lying in bed reading when I heard a neighbor call Rook, so of course I jumped up and peeked through the window like the nosy neighbor I am, and there it was, bold as brass, walking across the street.  Well, slithering.  Several people were around so they all sat and watched to make sure it didn't wander too far before it could be caught and relocated.  A dude came with a big trash bucket and some snake tongs and fished it out of the bush where it was hiding.  It only rattled when he was grabbing it, so it was pretty mellow.  Now he's in his bucket in the backseat of a Honda Element, taking a free ride to some other part of the desert far away from rennies.

I like snakes.  I'm glad the policy is to relocate rather than kill them.  It was a big boy, too, like, 3 feet.  I apologize if the snake was female but I highly doubt he/she will ever read this blog so whatever.  Now I'm imagining a snake at a computer, outraged.  The Bronx Zoo Cobra, shaking her head in dismay.  Sorry.  SORRY, EVERYONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment