Thursday, April 5, 2012

Not A Happy Camper

Well, here I am in Texas.  Yesterday/today we drove about 14 hours straight, and finally had to pull over to nap at a rest stop in Nowheresville, Texas.  Then we drove the remaining 3 hours here to the faire.

It's sticky here.  Even now that it's cooled down a little I can feel so much humidity.  My hair and skin won't be so dry, at least, but it's a trade-off for hair that gets dirty faster.  At least the showers are free here!

Since there are woods here, and an awesome creek and waterfall, it feels more like a real campground.  The falls are so beautiful, I can't wait to wade through on a hot day.  Wading through running water is one of my favorite things in to do in the whole world.

I can tell there are things about it here that I'm going to like, but after the harrowing trip, as well as irritation from PMS and the fact that the ground is so muddy and things seem a little disorganized and I spilled my water jug INSIDE the tent, and texas is even more uncomfortably jesusy than NC, I am feeling rather homesick.  It's my mom's birthday and I called them and after I talked to my dad I had to sit in my car and have a little cry.  It's no wonder, with the stress of tearing down the booth and then my own car and then a 17 hour drive by myself.   But then I ate something, and now I'm going to sleep so tomorrow will be better.

I'm going to be more social this show, just by necessity.  I did manage to find a spot that's pretty isolated, but it's still closer to people than my spot in AZ.  I'm closer to some friends, too.  There's only one spot directly next to mine, and the others are separated by a little path that will become a stream when it rains, or a growth of trees, or the road.  My friend Mindy, one of the girls I caravanned with, was going to use the neighboring spot, but her tent didn't fit so she had to move.  Hopefully no one will move there now, or if they do they're someone cool and not annoying.

A lot of people say this is their favorite show, and a fun party show, so I have high hopes (not too high of course, no need to have any hopes dashed...) but right now I'm feeling kind of disillusioned.  Time for sleep, and a better day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment