Friday, June 22, 2012

monkey mountain peasant song

Colorado continues to be breathtakingly beautiful, and I still love living here, despite the fact that it's impossible to keep one's feet clean...

My 27th birthday was a few days ago, my first one where I wasn't with any of my close friends.  But my friends out here made sure that I had a great one.  There's a tradition where you get dollars pinned to your chest and when people see you they add to the pins...I made quite a few bucks!  Part of the pinned dollars, however, is that you're opening yourself up to get assassinated...with pie!  Only someone who has been pied on their birthday can be a pie assassin, and if you pie someone a. when it isn't their birthday or b. when you haven't been pied, you become a Pie Bitch and can be pied by anyone at any point during the year.
A pie-ing doesn't mean that you have to have an entire like, cherry pie smooshed in your face.  A handful of whipped cream or even a whipped cream smeared on the nose will do.  I got both!  My friend's girlfriend got me right after midnight with a handful of whipped cream, and then another friend of mine, Skinny, bought me a yummy shot with whipped cream and she dabbed it on my nose.  I also got 2 "cake shots", which are amazing shots of vodka+ frangelica chased by a sugared lime that taste exactly like chocolate cake.  Several more drinks were bought for me of course, and I ended the night very happily drunk in my own little bed.

The ACTUAL day of my birthday (this was Sunday night, when everyone goes out to the bar) I had a car mishap, where poor Silver overheated!  A check in the radiator tank showed that there was absolutely NO coolant in there at all.  Luckily the corner store in Larkspur had one last bottle of antifreeze, so I poured that in and it's been fine ever since.  Car trouble out here on the road is dangerous, because we don't make much money and it can be hard to take care of.
Instead of getting wasted again and partying, I spent the day at my friend's house watching movies and relaxing which is exactly what I like to do the most.  This is the "friend" i've been "spending time" with in Scarborough and wasn't sure if we still would here...well, we are.  Mostly I bring him into town when he needs it and he lets me hang out at his booth which has electricity, so I can watch movies.

My best friend Rick got me a room in a 4-star hotel in Denver for Wednesday night, and I brought my friend along as well.  We had a glorious time turning the AC down as far as we could stand, watching TV , swimming in the hotel pool, drinking, of course, and going out on the town with my friend from high school who lives here now.  We were also super excited about the shower...it was a really nice shower.  We took at least 2 showers each.

Alas, it's back to the life without windows or showers or refrigerators...I'm still loving it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment